May 28, 2010
Presentation of Preliminary Research Findings & Policy Recommendations
YMCA SF hosted an event for Shape Up SF's Physical Activity Council to present the preliminary research findings and policy recommendations.
San Francisco, like most communities, is facing an obesity, physical inactivity and chronic disease epidemic.
- Over 80% of San Francisco public school students in grades 5, 7, and 9 failed the fitness test.
- Over 25% of San Francisco residents engage in no moderate physical activity.
YMCA of San Francisco shares the goal of Shape Up SF to make it fun and easy to eat well and move more in order to improve health and prevent chronic disease.
Convened by the Mayor and funded by The California Endowment, the Physical Activity Council (PAC) conducted a review and analysis of City and County of San Francisco policies to determine how they impact access to and opportunities for physical activity.
- Peter Albert, Manager of Urban Planning Initiatives, SFMTA
- Charles M. Collins, President and CEO, YMCA of San Francisco
- Susan Zieff, PhD, Professor, Department of Kinesiology, San Francisco State University
- Christina Goette, MPH, Sr. Health Program Planner, SF Department of Public Health
Back to News Listing