Student Nurse Internship
Cardiac Therapy Wellness Program
During this clinical rotation, student nurses are assigned to attend the YMCA Cardiac Therapy Wellness Program at the YMCA. You are assigned to attend from 7:15 a.m. -12:00 noon on a Wednesday or Friday. The purpose of this learning experience is to gain knowledge of Phase III of a cardiac rehabilitation program.
When you go to the YMCA, go to the reception desk and ask for directions to the Cardiac Therapy Wellness Class. Wear "work out" clothes as you will be expected to participate.
Skills and Requirements
Pre Rotation Preparation:
1. During this rotation you will be asked to take " manual" BP’s on the clients. Prior to your visit to the YMCA you must practice manual BP’s so that you are proficient at this skill. It is not for the YMCA staff to teach this skill. Please note that the YMCA staff will send home any student that is not prepared.
On completion of this experience, the student will be able to:
- Outline the phases of a cardiac rehabilitation program.
- Identify the role of the nurse in this program.
- Describe the most common health teaching needs of these patients.
- List pertinent drugs and equipment that is located on the Crash Cart.
- Describe how participants are admitted to program and financial management (i.e. health insurance, etc.)
7:15am-12:00pm, Wednesday or Friday
Contact Lisa O’Brien, YCT and Older Adult Coordinator & Personal Trainer at 415-446-2113 or LObrien@ymcasf.org.