Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
The YMCA of San Francisco is committed to the highest possible ethical standards and we encourage everyone associated with the YMCA to commit to acting in the best interest of the organization and its mission
Our mission demands that we, Board and Committee Members, branch Boards of Managers, staff and program volunteers, as stewards of our mission, uphold the public trust and act in an ethical manner in all that we do in the name of our Organization. These ethical values include integrity, openness, honesty, accountability, fairness, respect and responsibility. These values are the basis of our Code of Conduct and commitment to act in a manner befitting the YMCA and mission.
As a public charity, we rely on the public for funding and volunteer support, which is critical to the success of our mission. The public trusts us to carry out our stated mission and to act in the best interest of the YMCA. If we abuse the public trust, our ability to fulfill our mission is severely weakened. Therefore, it is critical that we operate in a manner that is above reproach in all aspects, including governance, fundraising, mission operations, legal matters and human resources.
As a public charity we are committed to:
- Acting responsibly and with integrity;
- Following not just the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law as well;
- Promoting financial accountability, transparency, and best governance practices;
- Respecting the wide variety of people who support our mission through donations or their time, talent and money;
- Being responsible stewards of the YMCA, its mission, reputation and resources;
- Being open and honest in all of our dealings with both internal and external audiences.
This Code of Conduct applies to all staff members, the Board of Directors and Committee Members, branch Boards of Managers, and program volunteers.
All staff, Board and Committee Members, branch Boards of Managers and program volunteers will:
- Be open and honest with colleagues, stakeholders, volunteers, donors, and all others involved in the YMCA;
- Abide by the by-laws and policies of the YMCA;
- Take responsibility for their actions, and care in their dealings as representatives of our YMCA;
- Exercise best governance and accounting practices and procedures;
- Use the resources of the YMCA in a responsible and wise manner;
- Act in the best interest of the YMCA;
- Disclose any actual or perceived conflict of interest.
- Act in a responsible, ethical manner that promotes openness, fairness and integrity;
- Treat people with dignity and respect;
- Work together to achieve our mission to the best of our ability.
The YMCA of San Francisco is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, configuration, abilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value the diversity of all people.